Meaning of PAINT in English
— paintable , adj. — paintless , adj.
/paynt/ , n.
1. a substance composed of solid coloring matter suspended in a liquid medium and applied as a protective or decorative coating to various surfaces, or to canvas or other materials in producing a work of art.
2. an application of this.
3. the dried surface pigment: Don't scuff the paint.
4. the solid coloring matter alone; pigment.
5. facial cosmetics, esp. lipstick, rouge, etc., designed to heighten natural color.
6. Chiefly Western U.S. a pied, calico, or spotted horse or pony; pinto.
7. to coat, cover, or decorate (something) with paint: to paint a fence.
8. to produce (a picture, design, etc.) in paint: to paint a portrait.
9. to represent in paint, as in oils, tempera, or watercolor: to paint an actress as the Muse of tragedy.
10. to depict as if by painting; describe vividly in words: The ads painted the resort as a winter wonderland.
11. to color by or as if by painting: Sunset painted the clouds pink.
12. to apply a substance to, as a liquid medicine or a cosmetic: to paint a cut with iodine.
13. to coat or cover anything with paint.
14. to engage in painting as an art: She has begun to paint in her spare time.
15. to put on or use facial cosmetics.
16. paint the town red , Informal. to celebrate boisterously, esp. by making a round of stops at bars and nightclubs. Also, paint the town .
[ 1200-50; ME peinten (v.) peint, ptp. of peindre pingere to paint; see PICTURE ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012