Meaning of POISON in English
▪ potent , powerful , strong , virulent
▪ deadly , lethal
▪ pure ( usually figurative )
These words were pure ~ to me.
▪ nerve , rat
… OF POISON
VERB + POISON
▪ administer , give sb , inject
▪ lace sth with , put in , put on
She had laced his drink with ~.
She had put ~ in his wine.
▪ spread ( figurative )
groups that are spreading the ~ of sectarianism
▪ put down (= put somewhere to kill animals)
The farmer had put down some rat ~.
▪ drink , swallow , take
▪ suck out
He sucked most of the ~ from the wound.
POISON + NOUN
▪ gas , pill
▪ arrow , dart
Poison is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ atmosphere , ↑ mind , ↑ relation
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012