THREAD

Meaning of THREAD in English

/ θred; NAmE / noun , verb

■ noun

[ U , C ] a thin string of cotton, wool, silk, etc. used for sewing or making cloth :

a needle and thread

a robe embroidered with gold thread

the delicate threads of a spider's web

—picture at embroidery

[ C ] an idea or a feature that is part of sth greater; an idea that connects the different parts of sth :

A common thread runs through these discussions.

The author skilfully draws together the different threads of the plot.

I lost the thread of the argument (= I could no longer follow it) .

[ C ] thread (of sth) a long thin line of sth :

A thread of light emerged from the keyhole.

[ C ] ( computing ) a series of connected messages on a message board on the Internet which have been sent by different people

[ C ] the raised line that runs around the length of a screw and that allows it to be fixed in place by twisting

—picture at screw

threads [ pl. ] ( old-fashioned , NAmE , slang ) clothes

IDIOMS

see hang verb , pick verb

■ verb

[ vn , usually + adv. / prep. ] to pass sth long and thin, especially thread, through a narrow opening or hole :

to thread a needle (with cotton)

to thread cotton through a needle

A tiny wire is threaded through a vein to the heart.

[+ adv. / prep. ] to move or make sth move through a narrow space, avoiding things that are in the way

SYN pick your way :

[ v ]

The waiters threaded between the crowded tables.

[ vn ]

It took me a long time to thread my way through the crowd.

[ vn ] to join two or more objects together by passing sth long and thin through them :

to thread beads (onto a string)

[ vn ] to pass film, tape, string, etc. through parts of a piece of equipment so that it is ready to use

[ vn ] [ usually passive ] to sew or twist a particular type of thread into sth :

a robe threaded with gold and silver

••

WORD ORIGIN

Old English thrǣd (noun), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch draad and German Draht , also to the verb throw . The verb dates from late Middle English .

Oxford Advanced Learner's English Dictionary.      Оксфордский английский словарь для изучающик язык на продвинутом уровне.