Meaning of COUNTRY in English
adv the rock through which a vein runs.
2. country ·adv rural regions, as opposed to a city or town.
3. country ·adj pertaining, or peculiar, to one's own country.
4. country ·adv a jury, as representing the citizens of a country.
5. country ·adv the inhabitants of the district from which a jury is drawn.
6. country ·adj destitute of refinement; rude; unpolished; rustic; not urbane; as, country manners.
7. country ·adj pertaining to the regions remote from a city; rural; rustic; as, a country life; a country town; the country party, as opposed to city.
8. country ·adv a tract of land; a region; the territory of an independent nation; (as distinguished from any other region, and with a personal pronoun) the region of one's birth, permanent residence, or citizenship.
9. country ·adv the inhabitants or people of a state or a region; the populace; the public. hence: (a) one's constituents. (b) the whole body of the electors of state; as, to dissolve parliament and appeal to the country.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012