Meaning of FRONT in English
noun the most conspicuous part.
2. front ·noun the beginning.
3. front ·vt to appear before; to meet.
4. front ·vt to oppose face to face; to oppose directly; to meet in a hostile manner.
5. front ·vt to stand opposed or opposite to, or over against as, his house fronts the church.
6. front ·noun the forehead or brow, the part of the face above the eyes; sometimes, also, the whole face.
7. front ·vt to have or turn the face or front in any direction; as, the house fronts toward the east.
8. front ·noun that which covers the foremost part of the head: a front piece of false hair worn by women.
9. front ·add. ·noun all the works along one side of the polygon inclosing the site which is fortified.
10. front ·adj of or relating to the front or forward part; having a position in front; foremost; as, a front view.
11. front ·vt to adorn in front; to supply a front to; as, to front a house with marble; to front a head with laurel.
12. front ·vt to face toward; to have the front toward; to confront; as, the house fronts the street.
13. front ·add. ·noun the call boy whose turn it is to answer the call, which is often the word "front," used as an exclamation.
14. front ·noun a position directly before the face of a person, or before the foremost part of a thing; as, in front of un person, of the troops, or of a house.
15. front ·noun the forehead, countenance, or personal presence, as expressive of character or temper, and especially, of boldness of disposition, sometimes of impudence; seeming; as, a bold front; a hardened front.
xvi. front ·noun the part or surface of anything which seems to look out, or to be directed forward; the fore or forward part; the foremost rank; the van;
the opposite to back or rear; as, the front of a house; the front of an army.
xvii. front ·add. ·noun the middle of the upper part of the tongue, the part of the tongue which is more or less raised toward the palate in the pronunciation of certain sounds, as the vowel i in machine, e in bed, and consonant y in you. ·see guide to pronunciation, /10.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012