Meaning of LOSS in English
vt failure to use advantageously; as, loss of time.
2. loss ·vt failure to gain or win; as, loss of a race or battle.
3. loss ·vt killed, wounded, and captured persons, or captured property.
4. loss ·vt the state of being lost or destroyed; especially, the wreck or foundering of a ship or other vessel.
5. loss ·vt the state of losing or having lost; the privation, defect, misfortune, harm, ·etc., which ensues from losing.
6. loss ·vt the act of losing; failure; destruction; privation; as, the loss of property; loss of money by gaming; loss of health or reputation.
7. loss ·vt that which is lost or from which one has parted; waste;
opposed to gain or increase; as, the loss of liquor by leakage was considerable.
8. loss ·vt destruction or diminution of value, if brought about in a manner provided for in the insurance contract (as destruction by fire or wreck, damage by water or smoke), or the death or injury of an insured person; also, the sum paid or payable therefor; as, the losses of the company this year amount to a million of dollars.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012