Meaning of PART in English
adv partly; in a measure.
2. part ·noun quarter; region; district;
usually in the plural.
3. part ·vi to have a part or share; to partake.
4. part ·noun to leave; to quit.
5. part ·noun hence: to hold apart; to stand between; to intervene betwixt, as combatants.
6. part ·noun one of the opposing parties or sides in a conflict or a controversy; a faction.
7. part ·noun a constituent portion of a living or spiritual whole; a member; an organ; an essential element.
8. part ·noun to separate by a process of extraction, elimination, or secretion; as, to part gold from silver.
9. part ·vi to perform an act of parting; to relinquish a connection of any kind;
followed by with or from.
10. part ·noun a constituent of character or capacity; quality; faculty; talent;
usually in the plural with a collective sense.
11. part ·vi to go away; to depart; to take leave; to quit each other; hence, to die;
often with from.
12. part ·noun to separate or disunite; to cause to go apart; to remove from contact or contiguity; to sunder.
13. part ·noun to divide; to separate into distinct parts; to break into two or more parts or pieces; to sever.
14. part ·noun to divide into shares; to divide and distribute; to allot; to apportion; to share.
15. part ·vi to be broken or divided into parts or pieces; to break; to become separated; to go asunder; as, rope parts; his hair parts in the middle.
xvi. part ·noun that which belongs to one, or which is assumed by one, or which falls to one, in a division or apportionment; share; portion; lot; interest; concern; duty; office.
xvii. part ·noun an equal constituent portion; one of several or many like quantities, numbers, ·etc., into which anything is divided, or of which it is composed; proportional division or ingredient.
xviii. part ·noun one of the different melodies of a concerted composition, which heard in union compose its harmony; also, the music for each voice or instrument; as, the treble, tenor, or bass part; the violin part, ·etc.
xix. part ·noun such portion of any quantity, as when taken a certain number of times, will exactly make that quantity; as, 3 is a part of 12;
the opposite of multiple. also, a line or other element of a geometrical figure.
xx. part ·noun a particular character in a drama or a play; an assumed personification; also, the language, actions, and influence of a character or an actor in a play; or, figuratively, in real life. ·see to act a part, under act.
xxi. part ·noun one of the portions, equal or unequal, into which anything is divided, or regarded as divided; something less than a whole; a number, quantity, mass, or the like, regarded as going to make up, with others, a larger number, quantity, mass, ·etc., whether actually separate or not; a piece; a fragment; a fraction; a division; a member; a constituent.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012