Meaning of SENTENCE in English
vt to utter sententiously.
2. sentence ·noun sense; meaning; significance.
3. sentence ·vt to decree or announce as a sentence.
4. sentence ·noun a short saying, usually containing moral instruction; a maxim; an axiom; a saw.
5. sentence ·noun an opinion; a decision; a determination; a judgment, especially one of an unfavorable nature.
6. sentence ·noun a philosophical or theological opinion; a dogma; as, summary of the sentences; book of the sentences.
7. sentence ·vt to pass or pronounce judgment upon; to doom; to condemn to punishment; to prescribe the punishment of.
8. sentence ·noun a combination of words which is complete as expressing a thought, and in writing is marked at the close by a period, or full point. ·see proposition, 4.
9. sentence ·noun in civil and admiralty law, the judgment of a court pronounced in a cause; in criminal and ecclesiastical courts, a judgment passed on a criminal by a court or judge; condemnation pronounced by a judgical tribunal; doom. in common law, the term is exclusively used to denote the judgment in criminal cases.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012