Meaning of SQUARE in English
noun a pane of glass.
2. square ·noun hence, a pattern or rule.
3. square ·noun a square piece or fragment.
4. square ·noun one hundred superficial feet.
5. square ·noun the corner, or angle, of a figure.
6. square ·adj leaving nothing; hearty; vigorous.
7. square ·noun to hold a quartile position respecting.
8. square ·adj forming a right angle; as, a square corner.
9. square ·noun to form with four sides and four right angles.
10. square ·noun the act of squaring, or quarreling; a quarrel.
11. square ·adj exactly suitable or correspondent; true; just.
12. square ·noun hence, anything which is square, or nearly so.
13. square ·noun to multiply by itself; as, to square a number or a quantity.
14. square ·noun to compare with, or reduce to, any given measure or standard.
15. square ·noun a parallelogram having four equal sides and four right angles.
xvi. square ·noun to place at right angles with the keel; as, to square the yards.
xvii. square ·adj rendering equal justice; exact; fair; honest, as square dealing.
xviii. square ·vi to take a boxing attitude;
often with up, sometimes with off.
xix. square ·adj even; leaving no balance; as, to make or leave the accounts square.
xx. square ·noun fig.: the relation of harmony, or exact agreement; equality; level.
xxi. square ·adj having four equal sides and four right angles; as, a square figure.
xxii. square ·noun exact proportion; justness of workmanship and conduct; regularity; rule.
xxiii. square ·noun the position of planets distant ninety degrees from each other; a quadrate.
xxiv. square ·noun the front of a woman's dress over the bosom, usually worked or embroidered.
xxv. square ·noun to form with right angles and straight lines, or flat surfaces; as, to square mason's work.
xxvi. square ·noun a body of troops formed in a square, ·esp. one formed to resist a charge of cavalry; a squadron.
xxvii. square ·noun to make even, so as leave no remainder of difference; to balance; as, to square accounts.
xxviii. square ·vi to go to opposite sides; to take an attitude of offense or defense, or of defiance; to quarrel.
xxix. square ·adj having a shape broad for the height, with rectilineal and angular rather than curving outlines; as, a man of a square frame.
xxx. square ·vi to accord or agree exactly; to be consistent with; to conform or agree; to suit; to fit.
xxxi. square ·noun the product of a number or quantity multiplied by itself; thus, 64 is the square of 8, for 8 / 8 64; the square of a + b is a2 + 2ab + b2.
xxxii. square ·adj at right angles with the mast or the keel, and parallel to the horizon;
said of the yards of a square-rigged vessel when they are so braced.
xxxiii. square ·noun a certain number of lines, forming a portion of a column, nearly square;
used chiefly in reckoning the prices of advertisements in newspapers.
xxxiv. square ·noun an area of four sides, generally with houses on each side; sometimes, a solid block of houses; also, an open place or area for public use, as at the meeting or intersection of two or more streets.
xxxv. square ·noun an instrument having at least one right angle and two or more straight edges, used to lay out or test square work. it is of several forms, as the t square, the carpenter's square, the try-square., ·etc.
xxxvi. square ·noun to adjust; to regulate; to mold; to shape; to fit; as, to square our actions by the opinions of others.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012