noun form or character impressed; style; semblance.
2. type ·noun the mark or impression of something; stamp; impressed sign; emblem.
3. type ·noun that which possesses or exemplifies characteristic qualities; the representative.
4. type ·vt to represent by a type, model, or symbol beforehand; to prefigure.
5. type ·noun a raised letter, figure, accent, or other character, cast in metal or cut in wood, used in printing.
6. type ·noun a figure or representation of something to come; a token; a sign; a symbol;
correlative to antitype.
7. type ·vt to furnish an expression or copy of; to represent; to typify.
8. type ·noun the original object, or class of objects, scene, face, or conception, which becomes the subject of a copy; ·esp., the design on the face of a medal or a coin.
9. type ·noun a simple compound, used as a mode or pattern to which other compounds are conveniently regarded as being related, and from which they may be actually or theoretically derived.
10. type ·noun such letters or characters, in general, or the whole quantity of them used in printing, spoken of collectively; any number or mass of such letters or characters, however disposed.
11. type ·noun a general form or structure common to a number of individuals; hence, the ideal representation of a species, genus, or other group, combining the essential characteristics; an animal or plant possessing or exemplifying the essential characteristics of a species, genus, or other group. also, a group or division of animals having a certain typical or characteristic structure of body maintained within the group.