— bladeless , adj.
/blayd/ , n.
1. the flat cutting part of a sword, knife, etc.
2. a sword, rapier, or the like.
3. a similar part, as of a mechanism, used for clearing, wiping, scraping, etc.: the blade of a windshield wiper; the blade of a bulldozer.
4. the arm of a propeller or other similar rotary mechanism, as an electric fan or turbine.
a. the leaf of a plant, esp. of a grass or cereal.
b. the broad part of a leaf, as distinguished from the stalk or petiole. See illus. under leaf .
6. the metal part of an ice skate that comes into contact with the ice.
7. a thin, flat part of something, as of an oar or a bone: shoulder blade.
8. a dashing, swaggering, or jaunty young man: a gay blade from the nearby city.
9. a swordsman.
a. the foremost and most readily flexible portion of the tongue, including the tip and implying the upper and lower surfaces and edges.
b. the upper surface of the tongue directly behind the tip, lying beneath the alveolar ridge when the tongue is in a resting position.
11. the elongated hind part of a fowl's single comb.
[ bef. 1000; ME; OE blaed blade of grass; c. D blad, ON blath, G Blatt; akin to BLOW 3 ]