Meaning of MOUNT in English
— mountable , adj. — mountless , adj.
/mownt/ , v.t.
1. to go up; climb; ascend: to mount stairs.
2. to get up on (a platform, a horse, etc.).
3. to set or place at an elevation: to mount a house on stilts.
4. to furnish with a horse or other animal for riding.
5. to set or place (a person) on horseback.
6. to organize, as an army.
7. to prepare and launch, as an attack or a campaign.
8. to raise or put into position for use, as a gun.
9. (of a fortress or warship) to have or carry (guns) in position for use.
10. to go or put on guard, as a sentry or watch.
11. to attach to or fix on or in a support, backing, setting, etc.: to mount a photograph; to mount a diamond in a ring.
12. to arrange for display: to mount a museum exhibit.
13. to provide (a play, musical comedy, opera, etc.) with scenery, costumes, and other equipment for production.
14. to prepare (an animal body or skeleton) as a specimen.
15. (of a male animal) to climb upon (a female) for copulation.
a. to prepare (a slide) for microscopic investigation.
b. to prepare (a sample) for examination by a microscope, as by placing it on a slide.
17. to increase in amount or intensity (often fol. by up ): The cost of all those small purchases mounts up.
18. to get up on the back of a horse or other animal for riding.
19. to rise or go to a higher position, level, degree, etc.; ascend.
20. to get up on something, as a platform.
21. the act or a manner of mounting.
22. a horse, other animal, or sometimes a vehicle, as a bicycle, used, provided, or available for riding.
23. an act or occasion of riding a horse, esp. in a race.
24. a support, backing, setting, or the like, on or in which something is, or is to be, mounted or fixed.
25. an ornamental metal piece applied to a piece of wooden furniture.
26. Micros. a prepared slide.
27. a distinctive metal feature on a sheath or scabbard, as a locket or chape.
28. Philately. hinge (def. 4).
29. Print. a wooden or metal block to which a plate is secured for printing.
[ 1300-50; ME mounten munter, monter montare, deriv. of L mont- (s. of mons ) MOUNT 2 ]
Syn. 1. scale. See climb. 19. soar. 22. steed, charger, palfrey.
Ant. 1, 19. descend.
/mownt/ , n. Chiefly Literary.
a mountain: often used as part of a placename.
[ bef. 900; ME, OE munt mont- (s. of mons ) mountain, hill ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012