— nightless , adj. — nightlessly , adv. — nightlike , adj.
/nuyt/ , n.
1. the period of darkness between sunset and sunrise.
2. the beginning of this period; nightfall.
3. the darkness of night; the dark.
4. a condition or time of obscurity, ignorance, sinfulness, misfortune, etc.: the long night of European history known as the Dark Ages.
5. ( sometimes cap. ) an evening used or set aside for a particular event, celebration, or other special purpose: a night on the town; poker night; New Year's Night.
6. night and day , unceasingly; continually: She worked night and day until the job was done.
7. of or pertaining to night: the night hours.
8. occurring, appearing, or seen at night: a night raid; a night bloomer.
9. used or designed to be used at night: to take a night coach; the night entrance.
10. working at night: night nurse; the night shift.
11. active at night: the night feeders of the jungle.
[ bef. 900; ME; OE niht, neaht, c. G Nacht, Goth nahts, L nox (s. noct- ), Gk nýx (s. nykt- ) ]