Meaning of VERTICAL in English
— verticality, verticalness, verticalism , n. — vertically , adv.
/verr"ti keuhl/ , adj.
1. being in a position or direction perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb.
2. of, pertaining to, or situated at the vertex.
3. of or pertaining to the cranial vertex.
a. (of a leaf) having the blade in a perpendicular plane, so that neither of the surfaces can be called upper or lower.
b. being in the same direction as the axis; lengthwise.
5. of, constituting, or resulting in vertical combination.
6. of or pertaining to a product or service from initial planning to sale.
7. of, pertaining to, or noting a stratified society, nation, etc.
8. something vertical, as a line or plane.
9. a vertical or upright position.
10. a vertical structural member in a truss.
[ 1550-60; verticalis, equiv. to vertic- (s. of vertex ) VERTEX + -alis -AL 1 ]
Syn. 1. See upright .
Ant. 1. horizontal.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012