Meaning of TOP in English
[top] n [ME, fr. OE; akin to OHG zopf tip, tuft of hair] (bef. 12c) 1 a (1): the highest point, level, or part of something: summit, crown (2): the head or top of the head--used esp. in the phrase top to toe (3): the head of a plant and esp. one with edible roots "beet ~s" (4): a garment worn on the upper body b (1): the highest or uppermost region or part (2): the upper end, edge, or surface
2: a fitted, integral, or attached part or unit serving as an upper piece, lid, or covering 3 a: a platform surrounding the head of a lower mast that serves to spread the topmast rigging, strengthen the mast, and furnish a standing place for men aloft b: a comparable part of the superstructure; esp: such a part on a warship used as a fire-control station or antiaircraft gun platform
4. a: the highest degree or pitch conceivable or attained: acme, pinnacle b: the loudest or highest range of a sound
5. a: the part that is nearest in space or time to the source or beginning b: the first half of an inning in baseball
6. a (1): the highest position (as in rank or achievement) (2): a person or thing at the top b pl: aces and kings in a hand or the three highest honors in a suit 7: the choicest part: cream, pick 8: a forward spin given to a ball (as in golf or billiards) by striking it on or near the top or above the center; also: the stroke so given -- topped adj -- off the top of one's head : in an impromptu manner "sat down and wrote the ... story off the top of his head --Jerome Beatty, Jr." -- on top of 1 a: in control of "acted like a man on top of his job --Newsweek" b: informed about "tried to keep on top of new developments"
2: in sudden and unexpected proximity to "the deadline was on top of them"
3: in addition to -- on top of the world : in a position of eminent success, happiness, or fame
top vb topped ; top.ping vt (1509) 1: to remove or cut the top of: as a: to shorten or remove the top of (a plant): pinch 1b b: to remove the most volatile parts from (as crude petroleum)
2. a: to cover with a top or on the top: provide, form, or serve as a top for b: to supply with a decorative or protective finish or final touch c: to resupply or refill to capacity--usu. used with off "topped off the tank" d: to complete the basic structure of (as a high-rise building) by putting on a cap or uppermost section--usu. used with out or off e: to bring to an end or climax--usu. used with off "the event was topped off with a relay race --Paula Rodenas" 3 a: to be or become higher than: overtop "~s the previous record" b: to be superior to: excel, surpass c: to gain ascendancy over: dominate
4. a: to rise to, reach, or be at the top of b: to go over the top of: clear, surmount
5: to strike (a ball) above the center thereby imparting topspin ~ vi 1: to make an end, finish, or conclusion
2: to reach a summit or crest--usu. used with off or out top adj (1593) 1: of, relating to, or being at the top: uppermost
2: chief, leading "one of the world's ~ journalists"
3: of the highest quality, amount, or degree "~ value" "~ form"
4: having a quantum characteristic whose existence was postulated on the basis of the discovery of the bottom quark "~ quark" top n [ME, fr. OE, plaything] (14c): a commonly cylindrical or conoidal device that has a tapering usu. steel-shod point on which it is made to spin and that is used esp. as a toy
Merriam-Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Merriam Webster. 2012