2. top ·noun eve; verge; point.
3. top ·noun the head, or upper part, of a plant.
4. top ·noun the utmost degree; the acme; the summit.
5. top ·noun the chief person; the most prominent one.
6. top ·vt to perform eminently, or better than before.
7. top ·vt to rise to the top of; to go over the top of.
8. top ·add. ·noun a stroke on the top of the ball.
9. top ·add. ·vi to strike a ball above the center.
10. top ·noun the crown of the head, or the hair upon it; the head.
11. top ·vi to excel; to rise above others.
12. top ·vi to predominate; as, topping passions.
13. top ·add. ·vt to arrange, as fruit, with the best on top.
14. top ·vt to take off the or upper part of; to crop.
15. top ·add. ·vi to rise at one end, as a yard;
usually with up.
xvi. top ·add. ·vt to put a stiffening piece or back on (a saw blade).
xvii. top ·vt to raise one end of, as a yard, so that that end becomes higher than the other.
xviii. top ·add. ·noun a forward spin given to the ball by hitting it on or near the top.
xix. top ·noun a bundle or ball of slivers of comkbed wool, from which the noils, or dust, have been taken out.
xx. top ·add. ·vt to raise one end of, as a yard, so that that end becomes higher than the other.
xxi. top ·noun the part of a cut gem between the girdle, or circumference, and the table, or flat upper surface.
xxii. top ·vi to rise aloft; to be eminent; to tower; as, lofty ridges and topping mountains.
xxiii. top ·add. ·vt to cut, break, or otherwise take off the top of (a steel ingot) to remove unsound metal.
xxiv. top ·vt to rise above; to excel; to outgo; to surpass.
xxv. top ·add. ·vt to strike (the ball) above the center; also, to make (as a stroke) by hitting the ball in this way.
xxvi. top ·vt to cover on the top; to tip; to cap;
chiefly used in the past participle.
xxvii. top ·add. ·vt to cover with another dye; as, to top aniline black with methyl violet to prevent greening and crocking.
xxviii. top ·add. ·vt to improve (domestic animals, ·esp. sheep) by crossing certain individuals or breeds with other superior.
xxix. top ·add. ·vt to strike the top of, as a wall, with the hind feet, in jumping, so as to gain new impetus;
said of a horse.
xxx. top ·noun the highest rank; the most honorable position; the utmost attainable place; as, to be at the top of one's class, or at the top of the school.
xxxi. top ·noun a plug, or conical block of wood, with longitudital grooves on its surface, in which the strands of the rope slide in the process of twisting.
xxxii. top ·noun a child's toy, commonly in the form of a conoid or pear, made to spin on its point, usually by drawing off a string wound round its surface or stem, the motion being sometimes continued by means of a whip.
xxxiii. top ·noun a platform surrounding the head of the lower mast and projecting on all sudes. it serves to spead the topmast rigging, thus strengheningthe mast, and also furnishes a convenient standing place for the men aloft.
xxxiv. top ·noun the highest part of anything; the upper end, edge, or extremity; the upper side or surface; summit; apex; vertex; cover; lid; as, the top of a spire; the top of a house; the top of a mountain; the top of the ground.