Meaning of IMAGE in English
noun show; appearance; cast.
2. image ·noun hence: the likeness of anything to which worship is paid; an idol.
3. image ·vt to represent or form an image of; as, the still lake imaged the shore; the mirror imaged her figure.
4. image ·noun a representation of anything to the mind; a picture drawn by the fancy; a conception; an idea.
5. image ·vt to represent to the mental vision; to form a likeness of by the fancy or recollection; to imagine.
6. image ·noun a picture, example, or illustration, often taken from sensible objects, and used to illustrate a subject; usually, an extended metaphor.
7. image ·noun an imitation, representation, or similitude of any person, thing, or act, sculptured, drawn, painted, or otherwise made perceptible to the sight; a visible presentation; a copy; a likeness; an effigy; a picture; a semblance.
8. image ·noun the figure or picture of any object formed at the focus of a lens or mirror, by rays of light from the several points of the object symmetrically refracted or reflected to corresponding points in such focus; this may be received on a screen, a photographic plate, or the retina of the eye, and viewed directly by the eye, or with an eyeglass, as in the telescope and microscope; the likeness of an object formed by reflection; as, to see one's image in a mirror.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012