Meaning of IMAGE in English
1 impression of sb/sth given to the public
▪ good , positive
The party needs to clean up its somewhat tarnished ~.
The industry had a poor ~.
The history books built up a false ~ of an unpopular president.
▪ clean , clean-cut ( esp. BrE ), perfect , squeaky-clean , wholesome
He's a good player with a clean ~.
He represents the perfect ~ of a clean-living college boy.
the hackneyed ~ of the poor student
traditional ~s of motherhood
▪ media , public , screen
In real life she looks nothing like her screen ~.
▪ brand , corporate
Champagne houses owe their success to brand ~.
VERB + IMAGE
The company needs to create a new ~ for itself.
▪ convey , cultivate , present , project , promote
a book which presents positive ~s of older people
▪ change , transform
▪ bolster , boost , burnish ( esp. AmE ), clean up , enhance , improve , polish , revive
an effort to improve the organization's public ~
She is now seeking to soften her ~ for voters.
▪ keep up , live up to , maintain
The group has failed to live up to its macho ~.
Eastwood has maintained an ~ as a tough guy.
The industry is trying to shed its negative ~.
▪ mar ( esp. AmE ), ruin , tarnish
2 mental picture of sb/sth
▪ powerful , vivid
She had a sudden mental ~ of herself in a wedding dress.
the distorted ~s in his dreams
▪ enduring , indelible
It leaves indelible ~s imprinted on your mind.
unrealistic ~s of the ideal body
the ideal ~ of American citizenship
▪ stereotyped , stereotypical
help with eating disorders and body ~
▪ literary , poetic
VERB + IMAGE
▪ bring to mind , call to mind , conjure , conjure up , evoke , recall , summon , summon up
Samba always seems to conjure up ~s of Brazil.
the ability to summon up ~s in the mind
▪ build , build up , form
I like to build up ~s of the characters and setting before I start to write.
He didn't fit my ~ of the boss.
Treating disabled people like children only reinforces negative ~s of disability.
▪ ~ from
He started to recall ~s from his past.
▪ living , spitting
He's the spitting ~ of his father!
Betsy was a mirror ~ of her twin.
▪ compelling , dramatic , graphic , memorable , poignant , powerful , spectacular , striking , stunning , unforgettable
▪ disturbing , gruesome , horrible , horrific , violent
powerful and disturbing ~s of the war
▪ familiar , iconic
The visual ~ is steadily replacing the written word.
▪ flickering , moving
flickering ~s on a screen
▪ blurred , blurry , fuzzy
After exposure a faint ~ is visible.
the use of still and moving video ~s
Visitors can view live radar ~s and listen in to the control tower.
a live close-up ~ of her face
▪ black-and-white , monochrome
▪ clear , crisp , sharp
realistic 3D graphics with sharp ~s
The machine can capture a three-dimensional ~ of a patient's heart.
▪ photographic , TV , video
Each illustration is displayed as a complete screen ~.
▪ computer , digital , radar , satellite , X-ray
Under each thumbnail ~ is a link to a larger illustration.
▪ graven ( literary )
It was forbidden to worship graven ( = carved ) ~s.
the painted ~ of a human being
VERB + IMAGE
▪ generate , produce , reproduce
the ~s produced on laser printers
▪ capture , download , record , scan , upload
She longed to capture the ~ on film.
humorous posters bearing an ~ of a squatting dog
▪ display , post , show
the pixel information used to display a digital ~
Advertisers have given permission to post these digital ~s.
The devices are capable of enlarging the ~.
▪ acquire , obtain
You can store these ~s in a separate computer file.
The display juxtaposed ~s from serious and popular art.
These ~s are used for marketing purposes.
IMAGE + VERB
▪ depict sth , reflect sth , represent sth , reveal sth , show sth
heat ~s that show where most of the activity in the brain is
▪ suggest sth
IMAGE + NOUN
▪ capture , processing
~ analysis and feature recognition
▪ distortion , manipulation
▪ database , file
They can connect directly to the ~ files and allow the customer to view them.
a standard video output for ~ transfer or remote viewing
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012