Meaning of POSITION in English
vt to indicate the position of; to place.
2. position ·noun a method of solving a problem by one or two suppositions;
called also the rule of trial and error.
3. position ·noun relative place or standing; social or official rank; as, a person of position; hence, office; post; as, to lose one's position.
4. position ·noun the state of being posited, or placed; the manner in which anything is placed; attitude; condition; as, a firm, an inclined, or an upright position.
5. position ·noun the spot where a person or thing is placed or takes a place; site; place; station; situation; as, the position of man in creation; the fleet changed its position.
6. position ·noun hence: the ground which any one takes in an argument or controversy; the point of view from which any one proceeds to a discussion; also, a principle laid down as the basis of reasoning; a proposition; a thesis; as, to define one's position; to appear in a false position.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012