— sprayable , adj. — sprayability , n. — sprayer , n. — sprayless , adj. — spraylike , adj.
/spray/ , n.
1. water or other liquid broken up into minute droplets and blown, ejected into, or falling through the air.
2. a jet of fine particles of liquid, as medicine, insecticide, paint, perfume, etc., discharged from an atomizer or other device for direct application to a surface.
3. a liquid to be discharged or applied in such a jet.
4. an apparatus or device for discharging such a liquid.
5. a quantity of small objects, flying or discharged through the air: a spray of shattered glass.
6. to scatter in the form of fine particles.
7. to apply as a spray: to spray an insecticide on plants.
8. to sprinkle or treat with a spray: to spray plants with insecticide.
9. to direct a spray of particles, missiles, etc., upon: to spray the mob with tear gas.
10. to scatter spray; discharge a spray: The hose sprayed over the flowers.
11. to issue as spray: The water sprayed from the hose.
[ 1615-25; spraeyen; c. MHG spraejen ]
— spraylike , adj.
/spray/ , n.
1. a single, slender shoot, twig, or branch with its leaves, flowers, or berries.
2. a group or bunch of cut flowers, leafy twigs, etc., arranged decoratively and for display, as in a vase.
3. an ornament having a similar form.
[ 1250-1300; ME; akin to SPRAG 1 ]