Meaning of OVER in English
[over] adv [ME, adv. & prep., fr. OE ofer; akin to OHG ubar (prep.) above, beyond, over, L super, Gk hyper] (bef. 12c) 1 a: across a barrier or intervening space; esp: across the goal line in football b: forward beyond an edge or brink and often down "wandered too near the cliff and fell ~" c: across the brim "soup boiled ~" d: so as to bring the underside up "turned his cards ~" e: from a vertical to a prone or inclined position "knocked the lamp ~" f: from one person or side to another "hand it ~" g: across "got his point ~" h: to one's home "invite some friends ~" i: on the other side of an intervening space "the next town ~" j: to agreement or concord "won them ~"
2. a (1): beyond some quantity, limit, or norm often by a specified amount or to a specified degree "show ran a minute ~" (2): in an excessive manner: inordinately b: till a later time (as the next day): overnight "stay ~" "sleep ~" 3 a: above b: so as to cover the whole surface "windows boarded ~" 4--used on a two-way radio circuit to indicate that a message is complete and a reply is expected
5. a: through "read it ~"; also: in an intensive or comprehensive manner b: once more: again "do it ~"
over prep (bef. 12c) 1--used as a function word to indicate motion or situation in a position higher than or above another "towered ~ his mother" "flew ~ the lake" "rode ~ the old Roman road"
2. a--used as a function word to indicate the possession of authority, power, or jurisdiction in regard to some thing or person "respected those ~ him" b--used as a function word to indicate superiority, advantage, or preference "a big lead ~ the others" c--used as a function word to indicate one that is overcome, circumvented, or disregarded "passed ~ the governor's veto" 3 a: more than "cost ~ $5" b: above
4. a--used as a function word to indicate position upon or movement down upon "laid a blanket ~ the child" "hit him ~ the head" b (1): all through or throughout "showed me ~ the house" "went ~ his notes" (2)--used as a function word connecting one mathematical set and another whose elements are coefficients or values of parameters used to form elements of the first set "polynomials ~ the field of real numbers" c--used as a function word to indicate a particular medium or channel of communication "~ the radio" 5--used as a function word to indicate position on or motion to the other side or beyond "lives ~ the way" "fell ~ the edge"
6. a: throughout, during "~ the past 25 years" b: until the end of "stay ~ Sunday"
7. a--used as a function word to indicate an object of solicitude, interest, consideration, or reference "the Lord watches ~ his own" b--used as a function word to indicate the object of an expressed or implied occupation, activity, or concern "trouble ~ money" "met with advisers ~ lunch" over adj (bef. 12c) 1 a: upper, higher b: outer, covering c: excessive "~ imagination"
2. a: not used up: remaining "something ~ to provide for unusual requirements --J. A. Todd" b: having or showing an excess or surplus
3: being at an end "the day is ~"
4: fried on both sides "ordered two eggs ~" -- over easy : fried on one side then turned and fried lightly on the other side "eggs over easy" over vt overed ; over.ing (1837): to leap over
Merriam-Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Merriam Webster. 2012