Meaning of CLOUD in English
1 mass of very small drops of water in the sky
▪ dense , heavy , thick
▪ fluffy , puffy ( esp. AmE ), wispy ( esp. AmE )
▪ cirrus , cumulonimbus , cumulus , etc.
▪ high , low
▪ broken , scattered
skies of broken ~
▪ fast-moving , scudding ( literary )
▪ black , dark , grey/gray , white
▪ rain , storm , thunder
Rain ~s were looming on the horizon.
▪ ominous , threatening
… OF CLOUD
▪ band , bank , blanket , layer , mass , wisp
a layer of high ~
VERB + CLOUD
▪ seed (= to place a substance in a cloud to make it produce rain)
CLOUD + VERB
▪ form , gather , mass
Dark ~s were gathering in the west.
▪ cover sth , envelop sth , obscure sth
▪ break , clear , disperse , lift , part
The ~s broke a little, and the sun came out.
▪ drift , float , hang , hover , loom , move , pass , race , roll , scud ( literary ), swirl
Thick ~ hung over the moor.
A ~ passed over the sun.
White ~s scudded across the sky.
CLOUD + NOUN
▪ bank , cover , layer
The ~ cover is quite dense today.
▪ above the ~s , below the ~s
We were flying above the ~s.
▪ through the ~s
She could see the sun through the ~s.
▪ a break in the ~ , a break in the ~s
2 mass of smoke, dust, etc.
▪ great , huge
a great ~ of black smoke
▪ dense , thick
▪ billowing , swirling
the mushroom ~ from a nuclear bomb
▪ dust , gas , radioactive , smoke
VERB + CLOUD
▪ create , form
The wind blew across the beach, forming ~s of sand.
▪ belch , release
▪ ~ of
a thick ~ of steam
Cloud is used with these nouns as the subject: ↑ eye , ↑ face , ↑ tear
Cloud is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ judgement , ↑ mind , ↑ vision
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012