adv more than; as, above five hundred were present.
2. above ·adv higher in rank or power; as, he appealed to the court above.
3. above ·adv earlier in order; higher in the same page; hence, in a foregoing page.
4. above ·adv in a higher place; overhead; into or from heaven; as, the clouds above.
5. above ·prep in or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; over;
opposed to below or beneath.
6. above ·prep surpassing in number or quantity; more than; as, above a hundred. (passing into the adverbial sense. ·see above, ·adv, 4.).
7. above ·prep figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; beyond; higher in measure or degree than; as, things above comprehension; above mean actions; conduct above reproach.