Meaning of STRAIGHT in English
adj a variant of strait, ·adj.
2. straight ·vt to straighten.
3. straight ·superl unmixed; undiluted; as, to take liquor straight.
4. straight ·adv in a straight manner; directly; rightly; forthwith; immediately; as, the arrow went straight to the mark.
5. straight ·superl conforming to justice and rectitude; not deviating from truth or fairness; upright; as, straight dealing.
6. straight ·noun a hand of five cards in consecutive order as to value; a sequence. when they are of one suit, it is calles straight flush.
7. straight ·superl approximately straight; not much curved; as, straight ribs are such as pass from the base of a leaf to the apex, with a small curve.
8. straight ·superl composed of cards which constitute a regular sequence, as the ace, king, queen, jack, and ten-spot; as, a straight hand; a straight flush.
9. straight ·superl right, in a mathematical sense; passing from one point to another by the nearest course; direct; not deviating or crooked; as, a straight line or course; a straight piece of timber.
10. straight ·superl making no exceptions or deviations in one's support of the organization and candidates of a political party; as, a straight republican; a straight democrat; also, containing the names of all the regularly nominated candidates of a party and no others; as, a straight ballot.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012