Meaning of AFTER in English
adj hinder; nearer the rear.
2. after ·prep below in rank; next to in order.
3. after ·prep behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
4. after ·prep moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
5. after ·adj next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
6. after ·adv subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
7. after ·prep according to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
8. after ·prep subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
9. after ·prep subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, i shall be careful.
10. after ·prep according to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
11. after ·adj to ward the stern of the ship;
applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
12. after ·prep denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
13. after ·prep later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. it often precedes a clause. formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
14. after ·prep in imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after rubens; the boy takes after his father.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012