noun that which serves to check, restrain, or hinder; restraint.
2. control ·add. ·noun the mechanism controlling the rudders and ailerons.
3. control ·noun a duplicate book, register, or account, kept to correct or check another account or register; a counter register.
4. control ·vt to check by a counter register or duplicate account; to prove by counter statements; to confute.
5. control ·add. ·noun the complete apparatus used to control a mechanism or machine in operation, as a flying machine in flight;.
6. control ·noun power or authority to check or restrain; restraining or regulating influence; superintendence; government; as, children should be under parental control.
7. control ·vt to exercise restraining or governing influence over; to check; to counteract; to restrain; to regulate; to govern; to overpower.
8. control ·add. ·noun any of the physical factors determining the climate of any particular place, as latitude,distribution of land and water, altitude, exposure, prevailing winds, permanent high- or low-barometric-pressure areas, ocean currents, mountain barriers, soil, and vegetation.