Meaning of QUESTION in English
— questioner , n.
/kwes"cheuhn/ , n.
1. a sentence in an interrogative form, addressed to someone in order to get information in reply.
2. a problem for discussion or under discussion; a matter for investigation.
3. a matter of some uncertainty or difficulty; problem (usually fol. by of ): It was simply a question of time.
4. a subject of dispute or controversy.
5. a proposal to be debated or voted on, as in a meeting or a deliberative assembly.
6. the procedure of putting a proposal to vote.
7. Politics. a problem of public policy submitted to the voters for an expression of opinion.
a. a controversy that is submitted to a judicial tribunal or administrative agency for decision.
b. the interrogation by which information is secured.
c. Obs. judicial examination or trial.
9. the act of asking or inquiring; interrogation; query.
10. inquiry into or discussion of some problem or doubtful matter.
11. beg the question . See beg (def. 9).
12. beyond question , beyond dispute; without doubt: It was, beyond question, a magnificent performance. Also, beyond all question .
13. call in or into question ,
a. to dispute; challenge.
b. to cast doubt upon; question: This report calls into question all previous research on the subject.
14. in question ,
a. under consideration.
b. in dispute.
15. out of the question , not to be considered; unthinkable; impossible: She thought about a trip to Spain but dismissed it as out of the question.
16. to ask (someone) a question; ask questions of; interrogate.
17. to ask or inquire.
18. to make a question of; doubt: He questioned her sincerity.
19. to challenge or dispute: She questioned the judge's authority in the case.
20. to ask a question or questions.
[ 1250-1300; (n.) ME questio ( u ) n, questiun questiun, MF question quaestion- (s. of quaestio ), equiv. to quaes-, s. of quaerere to ask + -tion- -TION; (v.) late ME questioner, deriv. of the n. ]
Syn. 1. inquiry, query, interrogation. 16. query, examine. 17. See inquire .
Ant. 1, 16. answer, reply.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012