[up] adv [partly fr. ME up upward, fr. OE up; partly fr. ME uppe on high, fr. OE; both akin to OHG uf up and prob. to L sub under, Gk hypo under, hyper over--more at over] (bef. 12c) 1 a (1): in or into a higher position or level; esp: away from the center of the earth (2): from beneath the ground or water to the surface (3): from below the horizon (4): upstream (5): in or into an upright position "sit ~"; esp: out of bed b: upward from the ground or surface "pull ~ a daisy" c: so as to expose a particular surface
2: with greater intensity "speak ~" 3 a: in or into a better or more advanced state b: at an end "your time is ~" c: in or into a state of greater intensity or excitement d: in a continual sequence: in continuance from a point or to a point "from third grade ~" "at prices of $10 and ~" "~ until now"
4. a (1): into existence, evidence, prominence, or prevalence "put ~ several new buildings" (2): into operation or practical form b: into consideration or attention "bring ~ for discussion"
5: into possession or custody
6. a: entirely, completely "button ~ your coat" b--used as an intensifier "clean ~ the house" 7: in or into storage: by "lay ~ supplies"
8. a: so as to arrive or approach b: in a direction conventionally the opposite of down: (1): to windward (2): northward (3): to or at the top (4): to or at the rear of a theatrical stage 9: in or into parts 10: to a stop--usu. used with draw, bring, fetch, or pull 11: for each side "the score is 15 ~"
up adj (bef. 12c) 1 a: risen above the horizon "the sun is ~" b: standing c: being out of bed d: relatively high "the river is ~" "was well ~ in her class" e: being in a raised position: lifted "windows are ~" f: being in a state of completion: constructed, built g: having the face upward h: mounted on a horse "a new jockey ~" i: grown above a surface "the corn is ~" j (1): moving, inclining, or directed upward "the ~ escalator" (2): bound in a direction regarded as up
2. a (1): marked by agitation, excitement, or activity (2): positive or upbeat in mood or demeanor b: being above a former or normal level (as of quantity or intensity) "attendance is ~" "the wind is ~" c: exerting enough power (as for operation) "sail when steam is ~" d: ready; specif: highly prepared e: going on: taking place "find out what is ~" 3 a: risen from a lower position "men ~ from the ranks" b: being at the same level or point "did not feel ~ to par" c (1): well informed: abreast "~ on the news" (2): being on schedule "~ on his homework" d: being ahead of one's opponent
4. a: presented for or undergoing consideration "contract ~ for negotiation"; also: charged before a court "~ for robbery" b: being the one whose turn it is "you're ~ next"
5. of a quark: having an electric charge of +2/3, zero charm, and zero strangeness--compare down
6. -- up against : confronted with: face-to-face with "the problem we are up against" -- up to 1: capable of performing or dealing with "feels up to her role"
2: engaged in "what is he up to"
3: being the responsibility of "it's up to me" up prep (1509) 1 a--used as a function word to indicate motion to or toward or situation at a higher point of "went ~ the stairs" b: up into or in the "went ~ attic"
2. a: in a direction regarded as being toward or near the upper end or part of "lives a few miles ~ the coast" "walked ~ the street" b: toward or near a point closer to the source or beginning of "sail ~ the river"
3: in the direction opposite to "sailed ~ the wind" up n (1536) 1: one in a high or advantageous position
2: an upward slope
3: a period or state of prosperity or success
4: upper up vb upped or in vi
2. up ; upped ; up.ping ; ups or in vi
2. up vi (1643) 1 a: to rise from a lying or sitting position b: to move upward: ascend 2--used with and and another verb to indicate that the action of the following verb was either surprisingly or abruptly initiated "he ~ and married a showgirl" ~ vt 1: raise, lift
2. a: to advance to a higher level: (1): increase (2): promote 1a b: raise 8d, e