[round] adj [ME, fr. OF roont, fr. L rotundus--more at rotund] (14c) 1 a (1): having every part of the surface or circumference equidistant from the center (2): cylindrical "a ~ peg" b: approximately round "a ~ face"
2: well filled out: plump, shapely 3 a: complete, full "a ~ dozen" "a ~ ton" b: approximately correct; esp: exact only to a specific decimal or place "use the ~ number 1400 for the exact figure 1411" c: substantial in amount: ample "a good ~ price --T. B. Costain"
4: direct in utterance: outspoken "a ~ oath"
5: moving in or forming a circle
6. a: brought to completion or perfection: finished b: presented with lifelike fullness or vividness 7: delivered with a swing of the arm "a ~ blow"
8. a: having full or unimpeded resonance or tone: sonorous b: pronounced with rounded lips: labialized 9: of or relating to handwriting predominantly curved rather than angular -- round.ness n
round adv (14c): around 1, 2b, 3, 4,
5. round n (14c) 1 a: something (as a circle, globe, or ring) that is round b (1): a knot of people (2): a circle of things
2: round dance 1
3: a musical canon sung in unison in which each part is continuously repeated
4. a: a rung of a ladder or a chair b: a rounded molding
5. a: a circling or circuitous path or course b: motion in a circle or a curving path
6. a: a route or circuit habitually covered (as by a security guard or police officer) b: a series of similar or customary calls or stops "making the ~s of his friends --Current Biog."; esp: a series of regularly scheduled professional calls on hospital patients made by a doctor or nurse--usu. used in pl. 7: a drink of liquor apiece served at one time to each person in a group "I'll buy the next ~" 8: a sequence of recurring routine or repetitive actions or events "went about my ~ of chores" "t he newest ~ of talks" 9: a period of time that recurs in a fixed pattern "the daily ~"
10. a: one shot fired by a weapon or by each man in a military unit b: a unit of ammunition consisting of the parts necessary to fire one shot 11 a: a unit of action in a contest or game which comprises a stated period, covers a prescribed distance, includes a specified number of plays, or gives each player one turn b: a division of a tournament in which each contestant plays an opponent 12: a prolonged burst (as of applause) 13 a: a cut of meat (as beef) esp. between the rump and the lower leg--see beef illustration b: a slice of food "a ~ of bread" 14: a rounded or curved part -- in the round 1: in full sculptured form unattached to a background
2: with an inclusive or comprehensive view or representation
3: with a center stage surrounded by an audience "theater in the round" round vt (14c) 1 a: to make round b (1): to make (the lips) round and protruded (2): to pronounce with lip rounding: labialize
2. a: go around b: to pass part of the way around
3: encircle, encompass
4: to bring to completion or perfection--often used with off or out
5: to express as a round number--often used with off "11.3572 ~ed off to two decimal places becomes 11.36" ~ vi 1 a: to become round, plump, or shapely b: to reach fullness or completion
2: to follow a winding course: bend -- round on : to turn against: assail round prep (1602) 1: around
2: all during: throughout "~ the year" round vt [alter. of ME rounen, fr. OE runian; akin to OE run mystery--more at rune] (ca. 1529) 1 archaic: whisper
2. archaic: to speak to in a whisper