vi to present a face or front.
2. face ·noun the style or cut of a type or font of type.
3. face ·noun ten degrees in extent of a sign of the zodiac.
4. face ·vi to turn the face; as, to face to the right or left.
5. face ·vi to carry a false appearance; to play the hypocrite.
6. face ·vt to confront impudently; to bully.
7. face ·noun cast of features; expression of countenance; look; air; appearance.
8. face ·noun the upper surface, or the character upon the surface, of a type, plate, ·etc.
9. face ·vt to cause to turn or present a face or front, as in a particular direction.
10. face ·noun that part of the acting surface of a cog in a cog wheel, which projects beyond the pitch line.
11. face ·noun mode of regard, whether favorable or unfavorable; favor or anger; mostly in scriptural phrases.
12. face ·noun outside appearance; surface show; look; external aspect, whether natural, assumed, or acquired.
13. face ·noun the end or wall of the tunnel, drift, or excavation, at which work is progressing or was last done.
14. face ·noun the principal dressed surface of a plate, disk, or pulley; the principal flat surface of a part or object.
15. face ·noun the width of a pulley, or the length of a cog from end to end; as, a pulley or cog wheel of ten inches face.
xvi. face ·vt to cover in front, for ornament, protection, ·etc.; to put a facing upon; as, a building faced with marble.
xvii. face ·noun maintenance of the countenance free from abashment or confusion; confidence; boldness; shamelessness; effrontery.
xviii. face ·noun that part of the head, ·esp. of man, in which the eyes, cheeks, nose, and mouth are situated; visage; countenance.
xix. face ·vt to line near the edge, ·esp. with a different material; as, to face the front of a coat, or the bottom of a dress.
xx. face ·vt to stand opposite to; to stand with the face or front toward; to front upon; as, the apartments of the general faced the park.
xxi. face ·noun the exact amount expressed on a bill, note, bond, or other mercantile paper, without any addition for interest or reduction for discount.
xxii. face ·vt to cover with better, or better appearing, material than the mass consists of, for purpose of deception, as the surface of a box of tea, a barrel of sugar, ·etc.
xxiii. face ·noun that part of a body, having several sides, which may be seen from one point, or which is presented toward a certain direction; one of the bounding planes of a solid; as, a cube has six faces.
xxiv. face ·noun the exterior form or appearance of anything; that part which presents itself to the view; especially, the front or upper part or surface; that which particularly offers itself to the view of a spectator.
xxv. face ·vt to make the surface of (anything) flat or smooth; to dress the face of (a stone, a casting, ·etc.); ·esp., in turning, to shape or smooth the flat surface of, as distinguished from the cylindrical surface.
xxvi. face ·vt to meet in front; to oppose with firmness; to resist, or to meet for the purpose of stopping or opposing; to confront; to encounter; as, to face an enemy in the field of battle.
xxvii. face ·noun presence; sight; front; as in the phrases, before the face of, in the immediate presence of; in the face of, before, in, or against the front of; as, to fly in the face of danger; to the face of, directly to; from the face of, from the presence of.