Meaning of SUPPLY in English
— supplier , n.
/seuh pluy"/ , v. , supplied, supplying , n. , pl. supplies .
1. to furnish or provide (a person, establishment, place, etc.) with what is lacking or requisite: to supply someone clothing; to supply a community with electricity.
2. to furnish or provide (something wanting or requisite): to supply electricity to a community.
3. to make up, compensate for, or satisfy (a deficiency, loss, need, etc.): The TVA supplied the need for cheap electricity.
4. to fill or occupy as a substitute, as a vacancy, a pulpit, etc.: During the summer local clergymen will supply the pulpit.
5. to fill the place of another, esp. the pulpit of a church, temporarily or as a substitute: Who will supply until the new minister arrives?
6. the act of supplying, furnishing, providing, satisfying, etc.: to begin the supply of household help.
7. something that is supplied: The storm cut off our water supply.
8. a quantity of something on hand or available, as for use; a stock or store: Did you see our new supply of shirts?
9. Usually, supplies . a provision, stock, or store of food or other things necessary for maintenance: to lay in supplies for the winter.
10. Econ. the quantity of a commodity that is in the market and available for purchase or that is available for purchase at a particular price.
11. supplies , Mil.
a. all items necessary for the equipment, maintenance, and operation of a military command, including food, clothing, arms, ammunition, fuel, materials, and machinery.
b. procurement, distribution, maintenance, and salvage of supplies.
12. a person who fills a vacancy or takes the place of another, esp. temporarily.
13. supplies . Obs. reinforcements.
14. Obs. aid.
[ 1325-75; (v.) ME sup ( p ) lien souplier, var. of soupleer supplere to fill up, equiv. to sup - SUP- + plere to fill (see FULL 1 ); (n.) late ME: aid, succor, deriv. of the v. ]
/sup"lee/ , adv.
in a supple manner or way; supplely.
[ 1525-35; SUPPLE + -LY ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012